4.12.2010

No goodbyes?

In my forward-thinking, future-focused world, new beginnings covet all my attention. Endings...not so much.

I know how to say goodbye. Sometimes I even over do it. But in my people-loving, the world-is-one-big-family mindset, I don't like to say goodbye. I'd rather holler, "see you later," as I whiz out of sight. And to me, later might mean next week or it could mean in heaven. When my circumstances change, I'm typically the first one to be ready to climb the next mountain. (Unless of course I wind up pouting about the unexpected or unfair nature of life.) I like new stuff.

But...endings are important.

When you move across the country, when your circumstances are drastically altered, when your ministry is ready for change, even when your wife wants you to learn to hang up your towel and you finally agree...you MUST acknowledge endings well. Each ending deserves attention. You must identify the losses and grieve them. You must discern how to provide closure, and you need to figure out how to celebrate contributions. You must pay attention to what it takes to effectively change.

Endings should not become THE focal point, but they must be a stopping point each time change is imminent. Glaze over them and you will miss the richness of celebration. Neglect them and you'll have people clinging to the way things used to be.

To what or whom do you need to say your goodbyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

My photo
Sandy Johnson is a church visioneering and creative arts consultant. She just recently launched, thesynergybox.com, offering creative arts consulting and website resources designed for church leaders and artists. She has worked for over twenty years with church creative arts, church visioneering, catalyzing ministry and proactive church leadership in churches of 600 to 18,000. A leader in the church, with extensive experience helping shape and lead creative arts teams, she is an innovator and a change agent.