6.06.2012

How to Think Big Picture

Constantly my husband tells me, “People don’t think like you.” Sometimes this is not a compliment…like when I have once again totally missed the point of a joke (being the “humor-challenged person” that I am). But most of the time when he says not everyone thinks like I do, it is his way of reminding me that my ability to think holistically is a bit of a skill.

Big picture thinking is the ability to consider how your thoughts, actions and attitudes will impact your life or organization over the long haul. How will the decisions you make today impact others in one year, five years or ten years? If leaders fail to ask these all-important questions, their leadership will likely become shortsighted and somewhat ineffective. As leaders, we must learn to think of both the hear-and-now and the desired future.

So how do you learn to think about the big picture? While I have not mastered this ability, here are a few techniques I naturally use to keep the big picture in mind:

1. Think ahead
Simply taking a few minutes to consider a topic before I am called upon to form a leadership opinion about it allows me the time and space to consider the big picture. When I do this well, I come prepared to offer insight beyond my immediate circumstances. When I fail to think ahead, I am left to offer my gut reaction.

2. Think in terms of perspective
As I think through an issue, I try it out in my mind from multiple angles. If I need to hire an important position, I think through what I need from the position, what type of leader the team needs, what type of person will best fit the organizational culture and what type of person will complement the skills of other team members. Then I think through candidates from these angles (and many others). Perspective allows me to consider obvious and not-so-obvious implications of my decisions. And too, I have found that sometimes the best perspective is found in team discussion or in outside counsel!

3. Think in terms of outcomes
When I think about leadership issues (or life issues), I have learned to think in terms of the most desirable outcome. Sometimes leaders do not think in terms of the big picture, simply because they have not defined what a “win” would look like. When I know what I am trying to accomplish, holistic thought is more tangible and immediate. Clear desired outcomes prevent me from getting bogged down in philosophy and move me to action.

4. Think in terms of consequences
I would venture to say every leader has been in a situation where they have failed to consider the consequences of their decisions. When I have failed to consider the possible negative or positive consequences of an action, I have often found myself in trouble. While none of us can think of everything, we can be attentive to how our actions will impact others. In the best of worlds, my big picture thinking promotes healthy thoughts, actions and attitudes.

What big picture thinking skill do you need to practice today?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

My photo
Sandy Johnson is a church visioneering and creative arts consultant. She just recently launched, thesynergybox.com, offering creative arts consulting and website resources designed for church leaders and artists. She has worked for over twenty years with church creative arts, church visioneering, catalyzing ministry and proactive church leadership in churches of 600 to 18,000. A leader in the church, with extensive experience helping shape and lead creative arts teams, she is an innovator and a change agent.